Saturday, April 12, 2008

May the force be with you





Last night, we watched Star Wars with Boo--a movie she considers one of her favorite "old movies." For us, of course, the movie is not only about Han Solo and Luke and Leia but about our growing up. What movies are on your list of films that you remember in vivid detail? These are the ones that evoke memories--where you sat in the theater and who you sat with, the awe at the special effects, maybe, or the emotional impact of the plot. I saw Star Wars for the first time at a movie theater near Fort Worth, where my movie-averse Grandmama took me while I was staying with her for a week in the summer. I remember how the special effects were like nothing I'd ever seen before--like magic and how the story and the music made my heart soar. That was 32 years ago and last night, my heart still soared. I hope Boo's did too.

3 comments:

Electric Monk said...

Man, Star Wars. What a great flick.

I was two when the first Star Wars came out, so I don't know if I actually saw it in the theaters or not. I don't remember seeing Empire Strikes Back, but I'm sure I did. I do remember my dad taking me to see Return of the Jedi in second grade because I got good grades.

The first movie I really remember seeing with my dad was Temple of Doom. The other movie that always left a huge impression on me was, of all things, Terminator 2. My dad took me to see it for my birthday in high school, and I remember being completely FLOORED by the special effects. To this day it ranks as my favorite action movie.

Rob said...

I remember being blown away by 2001: A Space Odyssey. I had been a sci-fi fan for a while when the movie came out. There weren't many of us at the time, and the movie was kind of a vindication. It was proof that sci-fi movies didn't have to be cheap, monster-eats-the-city things. Suddenly it was OK to be a sci-fi fan!

T said...

I realized the other day that Boo has never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. We are such bad parents! It's next for family movie night.