Monday, January 10, 2011

More thoughts

I'm reading a wonderful and disturbing book about the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer right now. I'm reading it slowly because it is suspenseful (even though we all know how it ends) and because it holds up a mirror for me to evaluate my own courage, my own commitments, my own culture. I'm only up to 1938 but the writing is already on the wall--German culture finally slid into insanity because Christians were unwilling and unable to play the prophetic role that their times demanded.

In that light, I refer you back to one of my favorite blogs because, as she often does, Peacebang says what I want to say better than I can say it. Please read it here--it's worth two minutes of your time. And even if you don't read it, just let your mind linger on the painting. I've never seen this one before and I find it absolutely heartbreaking.

1 comment:

LIsa Story said...

is it the new very thick biography? I bought it for our church library, would like to read it, but I'm intimidated by its colossal size! Lisa S