Sunday, April 3, 2011

Happy birthday, Mowgli!



21 years ago, I became a mother. It was a long, hard day and also one of the very best. I could not have imagined then what my life would be--what it would be like to "have my heart go walking around outside my body," as Evelyn Underhill has said. I couldn't have imagined what the sacrifices would be or what the joys would be or how much one would compensate for the other. I didn't really understand that I would become a different person, that I wouldn't be my old self, only with a baby, but that I would become a new person, one that would completely contain the old person but would also never be the same.

The best work I've ever done is being a mom. I wasn't a natural mommy but I worked so hard at it, I got really good at it. I'll be forever grateful for that day 21 years ago when Mowgli made me a mom.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

WOW. You explained it PERFECTLY. Those pics are just awesome. And you are an amazing woman. I love you.

Unknown said...

Amazing description! I especially love the Underhill quote... I have said the same thing many times... and no one prepares you for the fact that the change is permanent... you never quit loving them just as much as those first days though you lose complete control very early on in the relationship.

p mcd said...

Happy Birthday Mowgli!!!!! What an amazing young man you have GIFTED the world with! And you ARE amazing parents!

Anonymous said...

The world needs many more moms like you.

Nocona said...

Wow! Becca looks like you!