Monday, May 16, 2011

Memories

I had breakfast last week with a colleague from my days as a beginner therapist at the Samaritan Center in Waco. The full-time counselors at that Center nurtured my early professional development, helped me navigate the credentialing process with AAPC, gave me excellent supervision and emotional support and deeply shaped my professional and ministerial identity. My memories of that time are not perfect but they are good and satisfying and I'm full of gratitude as I reflect on them.

Besides gratitude, I'm also full of the awareness that it's my turn now. It's my turn to reach back and nurture those who are coming up behind me professionally and in "real life." It's my turn to pour into a younger generation, to make sure they have what they need to flourish, to share with them my connections with other wonderful people who can also support and nourish them. I'm not sure at what age you become the "elder" but I'm pretty sure I'm past it!

No comments: