Wednesday, October 24, 2007

So glad it's over!

Chicago was fine. Don't let the fact that I can't stop obsessing about it fool you.

It didn't take long at all for me to figure out that I was going to be a disappointment to the organizers of the event. Two things: one, I tend to be a little "too much" for intellectual, introverted men (and these were Mennonite Bowen theorists. Nuff said.) Two, I had underestimated the knowledge base and sophistication of the participants.

But, my presentation seemed to be really well received, especially by the women. [A quick aside: One thing I've noticed at these events is that the men seem to be pretty well distributed across the spectrum of competence and self-awareness but that the women (probably because they have to do ministry backward and in high heels) tend to be remarkable and delightful. This time was no exception. The saddest part of the experience was having to leave without getting to know them better.]

So, anyway, I lacked the sophistication and depth that the participants were expecting and deserved. But on the other hand, the presentation was interactive, entertaining, and not boring. So, like I said, Chicago was fine.

No comments: