Friday, November 30, 2007

Musings

I just saw on the news that Austin has been named the number one "up and coming" city in the US. I don't know what that means--for me, for MBC, for the city--but it's interesting.

On another note . . .

I know now why they say that if you need something done, ask a busy person. As you know, I haven't been all that busy lately. That's not to say that I don't have things to do or that I'm not actually doing those things. But I have about half the schedule that I'm used to . . . and half the energy, half the focus, half the efficiency, half the productivity.

I'm learning some things about how I'm wired. For one thing, I'm definitely not a Type A personality. C used to say that I am a Type A personality trapped in a Type B body. That's probably as true as it is funny.

I've always thought that I was a self-starter (and, truthfully, I probably am.) But I've learned that, without the structure of a schedule and deadlines and expectations, I'm pretty useless! I lose the focus of my day pretty quickly, get distracted, waste time piddling around, and then wonder where the day went, especially since I've been pseudo-busy all that time. It's amazing how the day's tasks expand to fit the time available. How is it possible that now that I have more time, I actually have LESS time?

So, I've decided to cut myself some slack for not being uber-productive during my little hiatus these last few months. I've enjoyed the slower pace immensely and, even though I don't have much to show for it, I feel rested and healthy. But I'll be ready when the pace picks up. In the meantime, focus, focus, focus . . .

No comments: