Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lenten leadings

Sometimes God gives the answer before we even ask the question. When I wrote last week that I was fumbling for an appropriate Lenten practice, I had already committed to a deeper focus on the spiritual disciplines in my life--but only because that's what you're supposed to do during Lent.

But it became almost audibly clear to me this weekend: this year, Lent is not a time for giving up something but for expanding my capacity to hold something. This year is not about getting better but about growing bigger--big enough to hold the life that I've been given.

Since that realization, my practice of the spiritual disciplines (such as it is) has been infused with new life, new enthusiasm and has been drained of obligation. The answer was there in front of me all the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeedy!